Monday, March 2, 2009

Time...Not On My Side

Where has well over a month gone?

I realize I was busy. But I made the commitment to blog at least somewhat regularly and here it is, about six weeks after my last blog. I hardly call that 'regular'. And I hardly noticed the time passing, either.

I notice it when I'm writing. By that I mean I remain hyper-aware of the passage of time that my characters and storyline are going through. Has too much happened to fit into a regular day or night? Then it's time to alter something, either the flow, the pacing, or edit just a few lines to move day to night.

Is not enough happening? I'm aware of that, too. If it's not enough to fill the hours, then either something more must be added in or we need to start the next chapter with, "The next day..." as our first words.

But time in real life flows much faster than time in novels. An author can describe one moment for pages or one year in a sentence. But in the regular hum-drum world, time moves forward one day at a time.

Clearly, I need to look up and pay attention to it a little more often. But you see, it's so different in this story I'm working on...

All the best,
C.W. Walker

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no. 'The next day...' just doesn't work. There are better ways to imply the passage of time. That is one of those 'ack, toss the book' transitions.

MaryL

March 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home